This contest runs from November 1 - December 15, 2019
The holidays can be a great time for reading, but writing is also something children can spend time doing as well, especially:
· On Winter Break
· Driving to see relatives
· Sitting with family by the fireplace
· Just before going to bed
· Anytime they want to because Writing can be soothing
Benefits of Writing
· Writing can be soothing and relaxing for your child’s soul
· Writing helps your child express who they are
· Writing helps build your child’s creativity
· Writing helps your child build communication skills
· Writing helps your child build higher level thinking skills
· Writing helps your child reflect further
Before you get started, please consider:
Sharing the holiday writing contest with other family members and friends
Age range Categories
8 - 12 years old
13 -17 years old
Expository Writing Topic
Christmas is nearing, and your family has a history of celebrating the holidays in style. This year you have been asked to plan your families holiday celebration. How would you prepare the perfect family celebration for your family?
Tip: Don’t forget about the decorations, foods, activities, and gifts
Write five (5) paragraphs
1. Introduction -- Strong important theme/arguments/main ideas (at least 3)
2. Point 1 - Supporting paragraph stemming from Introduction
3. Point 2 - Supporting paragraph stemming from Introduction
4. Point 3 - Supporting paragraph stemming from Introduction
5. Conclusion – Tie conclusion back to introductory paragraph (summarizing 3 supporting paragraphs without specifically duplicating the introduction). The story should come to an end. Within the Conclusion – Is there a call to action? Is there something you want to change? Is there something you’d do differently?
Encourage your child(ren) to use their five (5) senses when describing/giving creative details. I want your children to “show not tell”
Check spelling and punctuation
Type/Print/Cursive (your choice). Just be sure the writing is legible.
Parents, please attach your child’s writing and forward to my email address: CherryeVasquez@gmail.com
From the entries, Dr. Cherrye will select one winner from each age range category. Participants must follow instructions and submit quality, creative expository writing.
Dr. Cherrye will send your child paperback copies of her two writing journals titled:
Affirmation Daybook Journal
Diversity Daybook Journal
& $25.00 gift card
Please see my website @ https://www.booksthatsow for more information about my two writing journals.
I will contact parents by email determining how to forward your child’s prizes.
Thanks for encouraging your child to participate.
*Subscribe to receive my email alerts. As an anti-bully advocate, I blog and write about Diversity, and Bullying, topics. With your new subscription I'm giving you two FREE e-books. All you have to do is download your e-books right from your computer. Click HERE to retrieve your e-books.